Property Tax Sale

The tax sale is a public auction of properties within a municipality which have outstanding property taxes for three years.

If a property within the Village has delinquent taxes owing against it the Municipality will begin proceedings to recover those costs through its annual tax saleThe tax sale is held annually on the last Monday of September at 10:00 a.m. at the council chambers of each municipality in BC. At the time of a tax sale a list of all properties for auction is available from the Village.

Should a property be sold at a tax sale, the registered owner has up to a year to redeem the property. Purchasers should be aware they will NOT have the right to receive title or possession until after one year following the date of the tax sale. If the property is not redeemed within the one-year period, the title transfers to the successful bidder.


The Local Government Act requires municipalities to advertise in a local paper not less than three (3), or more than ten (10) days prior to the Tax Sale. The legal description and civic (street) address must be published. To prevent having your property listed in this newspaper ad, delinquent taxes must be paid approximately three (3) weeks prior to the Tax Sale date.

Property owners will be advised by mail in August of each year if their property is subject to tax sale proceedings. The letter will outline the outstanding taxes and interest to date and payment required to avoid a tax sale.

What are delinquent taxes?

On December 31st of each year, taxes, interest and penalties unpaid for the current year are transferred to arrears taxes. The previous years' taxes plus interest and penalties are transferred to delinquent taxes.

For example:

  • This years taxes are “current” taxes;
  • Last years taxes are “arrears” taxes; and
  • Three year old taxes are “delinquent” taxes.


The information provided on this page is intended as a general outline of the Tax Sale process. For complete information prospective purchasers should consult the governing legislation such as: